Teign Valley History Group held it's Annual General Meeting on 8th September, 2020.
1) The chairman thanked the gathering for its help in preparing the hall and its adherence to Covid 19 precautions acknowledging the difficulties in doing so. It was to be hoped the restriction would be short lived. Apologies were received from David Fine, David & Phyl Taylor, Tony & Anne Porter, Andrew Thorpe, Maggie Walker, Ian Menter.
2) The Minutes of Annual General Meeting for 2019 were accepted. There were no matters arising.
3) The Chairman’s report was given by Graham Thompson The services of David Taylor who was stepping down from the role as treasurer were highlighted and thanks were given, as well as appreciation for his sensible advice to the chairman over the years. Graham was now chairman, secretary and treasurer, which is not a sustainable position. There was an urgent need for volunteers to take on the roles of treasurer and secretary, in the absence of which the future of the group is in jeopardy. Volunteers are asked to contact the chairman directly. The treasurer’s role was being streamlined with the introduction of payments by bank transfer and credit/debit card being strongly encouraged. Cash would only be accepted if no card was possessed. An accountancy program which would enable automatic recording of income and expenses was being explored. These measures would reduce the risk of infection transmission and also make the treasurers’ job much easier. Subscriptions this year were being modified to take account of cancelled meetings and the change of the subscription year. All members have received notification of their subscription for this year to 31st May 2021.
4) An appeal to revitalise the house research group was made as a number of people had already researched their own home without setting it down in print and sharing it with the local archive.
5) Graham Thompson then gave the Treasurer’s report in the absence of David Taylor. They had been checked by Kerry Hawkins. The Covid pandemic had hit our income but we still managed a surplus of £160 and had funds of £2658. These funds had been earmarked for purchase of equipment to improve our presentations at the annual village shows which had been later cancelled due to the virus.Acceptance of the accounts was proposed by Jan Deane and seconded by Tony Cook. They were accepted by a show of hands.
6) Members were invited to put their views & suggestions on running the Group. Members were asked which meeting room they preferred. The large hall was overwhelmingly supported. Andy Cook commented that the acoustics were about to be improved, hopefully reducing the need for a microphone and amplifier. Jan Deane thanked the committee for all its hard work during the year.
7) Election of Auditor: Kerry Hawkins had always produced reliable accounts and was re- elected unopposed, having been proposed by Tony Cook and seconded by Steve Collins.
8) Election of committee members: There being no other candidates the committee was re-elected en bloc. There are still 2 vacancies.
The AGM closed at 8.15pm
Teign Valley History Group held it's Annual General Meeting on 16th July, 2019.
Minutes of the Annual General Meeting
1) Chairman’s welcome. Apologies received from Steven and Lucie Hall.
2) The Minutes of Annual General Meeting for 2018 were accepted. There were no matters arising.
3) The Chairman’s report was given by Graham Thompson. The report can be seen here.
4) David Taylor gave the Treasurer’s report and the accounts were accepted. The Group's accounts can be seen here. They had been checked by Kerry Hawkins.
5) Members were invited to put their views & suggestions on running the Group. Sue Weaving congratulated the chairman on his efforts. Similarly, appreciation for the efforts of David Taylor and Kerry Hawkins was shown in the time-honoured manner. It was suggested that use of the drop-down screen would make presentations easier to see. Members were asked if there was a preference for the Bowden Room or the large hall. Although generally the large hall was preferred, there are issues with the heating in Winter and the acoustics are even worse than in the Bowden Room. These problems are being considered by the Hall committee but it is not known how long it will be before they are addressed. These matters will be further discussed by our committee. Sue Knox has resigned due to being unable to attend meeting as often as she would like. So there are vacancies to be filled.
6) Election of Officers Graham Thompson stood down and David Taylor conducted the vote for the chairmanship. Graham was re-elected unopposed.
7) Election of Treasurer: The chairman resumed the chair. David Taylor was nominated. He was unopposed and duly elected.
8) Election of Events Secretary This post remains vacant
9) Election of Auditor: Kerry Hawkins was re- elected unopposed.
10) Election of committee members: There being no other candidates the committee was re-elected en bloc. There are still 2 vacancies.
The AGM closed at 7.50pm
Teign Valley History Group had its Annual General meeting on 10th July, 2018.
Minutes of Annual General Meeting
1) Chairman’s welcome. Apologies received from Tim & Jan Deane, George & Rosemary Horrell, Phillipa & Andy Cook, Tony & Chrissa Cook
The chairman, Graham Thompson, was able to report another successful year and particularly pointed out our new website, teignvalleyhistorygroup.org which has details of our programme and events.
We now have in excess of 60 members and 120 on our mailing list.
2) The Minutes of Annual General Meeting for 2017 were accepted there were no matters arising.
3) David Taylor gave the Treasurer’s report and the accounts were accepted. The group's accounts can be seen here
4) Members were invited to put their views & suggestions on running the Group but none were forthcoming.
5) Election of Chairman Graham Thompson stood down and David Taylor conducted the vote. Graham Thompson was nominated by Maggie Bonnel and seconded by Jerry Horsman and was re-elected unopposed.
6) Election of Treasurer: The chairman resumed the chair. David Taylor was nominated for the post of treasurer by Sue Knox and seconded by Jerry Horsman. He was unopposed and duly elected.
7) Election of Events Secretary This post remains vacant
8) Election of Auditor: Kerry Hawkins was re- elected unopposed having been nominated by David Taylor and seconded by Saul Ackroyd.
9) Election of committee members: There being no other candidates the committee was re-elected en bloc. There are still 3 vacancies.
The AGM closed at 7.50pm
The Annual General Meeting was held on 11th July, 2017 in which the Chairman, Graham Thompson, thanked Tony Cook the previous chairman for his unrelenting help in the running of the Group.
Thanks were also expressed for the input by Maggie Bonnell, Jenny Thompson, Chrissa Cook, David Taylor, Kerry Hawkins, Maggie Walker, Ian Merter and the Committee.
Peter Squire was welcomed as the new Events Secretary. A request for a general secretary was made, the tasks being presently carried out by the Chairman.
The Chairman expressed his delight in seeing the age spread of membership increasing as it is important to involve younger people in understanding the importance of Valley life.
He went on to explain that a central secure site was needed for our ever-increasing archive to allow access by the general public. The concept of the Teign Valley Museum & Archive Centre was born and is now a separate Charitable Trust closely linked to the History Group. It will allow local schools to use it as an educational resource and volunteers to gain work experience.
Funds for building are being requested from individuals, local businesses and national funding organisations. Further information from Graham Thompson on 01647 253145.